Sunday, April 27, 2014

Bacon, Kale, Sweet Potato Eggs Benedict!

The other day I ranted about my love affair with the radio. 
Today I am going to tell you about two even bigger love affairs I have.
Brunch and Eggs. Benedict.
First let me explain my love for Brunch. I don't think there has ever been a more beautiful combination of two words. Breakfast and Lunch. They go together like a beautiful, majestic ball of happiness. 
 
And now for my love affair with Eggs Benedict.
 
I have been in love with Eggs Benedict for about a year now (happy anniversary eggs benny). I'm telling you, it's a problem. I don't know what I love more - the hollandaise sauce or the poached egg. I think it may be the poached egg. I could put it on anything - I love the softness of the egg and the gooeyness of the yoke. I could put a poached egg on anything - sandwich, pizza, ANYTHING! Hmm.. poached egg on a pizza. I'll have to try that.
Stay tuned.
Well, eggs benedict is not Paleo... sign.
So I decided to make it Paleo and eliminating the bread and using sweet potatoes instead!
Genius idea! Good thinking Morgan.
 
For my eggs benedict I combined Sweet Potatoes, Sautéed Kale, Bacon and a Poached Egg topped with Homemade Hollandaise sauce.
 
Recipe:
1 small Sweet Potato
1 large handful Kale
3 slices bacon
1 egg
2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
 
For Hollandaise Sauce:
2 egg yolks
1 TBSP lemon
1/4 cup butter (I used clarified butter "ghee")
Pinch of red pepper
 
Directions:
 1. Preheat oven to HI broil.
2. While oven is preheating, slice sweet potato. The thinner the slices the quicker they will cook! Lightly grease sweet potato slices with 1 TBSP olive oil.
3. Cook Sweet Potatoes on HI until tender. I flipped mine halfway through.
4. Cook bacon. (I used Trader Joe's fully cooked bacon so all I had to do was pop it in the microwave for about 1 minute and it was cooked!)
5. Place handful of Kale in saucepan on medium heat. Combine with 1 TBSP olive oil and sauté until tender. I added a pinch of garlic powder and onion powder.
6. Poach your egg!
The easiest way to poach an egg:
- In small saucepan place the rim of a mason jar lid in the center.
- Fill saucepan with water to the tip of the lid.
- On high heat bring water in saucepan to a boil.  
- Crack egg in center of lid.
- Remove heat, cover, let cook for 2 minutes.
*If egg white is not cooked thoroughly add heat and cover until cooked.
7. Stack the goodness! I put the Sweet Potatoes, the sautéed Kale, bacon, poached egg and then the hollandaise sauce.
Look how gorgeous this is. Seriously cannot get over how pretty it is! Side note: I just recently started using a super nice Canon camera that my uncle let me borrow for my blog. I am loving it and the pictures are amazing!
After brunch Cabela and I ventured outside because it is such a beautiful day!
On our back patio we have a doggie door! Cabela has never been through a doggie door before - it took about 10 minutes of coaxing him to walk through it but once he got it, it was hilarious!
 A trip outside turned photo-shoot. I apologize that my dog is a model - he just cannot help it.
 Of course we took some time to stop and smell the roses.
 He's just so cute I can't handle it. I guess you could say that along with brunch and eggs benedict I also have a love affair with Cabela. Oh well!
 
 
 
Well that's all for now!
I hope everyone is having a great and restful Sunday!
My restful part is over and now I've got tons of errands to run!
 
 
 
Have a fit and fantastic day!
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment