Monday, June 23, 2014

Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps - Under 300 Calories!

My sister and I are notorious for being unbelievably, unapologetically (*pun intended) obsessed with Buffalo Chicken...
Madison may be worse than me.
No matter where we go, she order's Buffalo Chicken -- I am not that to that extent, but last week I was craving it so I had to cure the craving -- the health (and still extremely delicious) way!
Lettuce Wraps are some of my favorite things. It's like a salad -- that you can hold in your hands! Fun fact : did you know that you can swap the bread for a lettuce wrap just about anywhere? Even Five Guys does it! I've seen these lettuce wraps all over Pinterest so I figured they would be perfect to cure my Buffalo Chicken craving.

Let me start off by saying that
1] Peter had no idea what "Buffalo Chicken" was... that's crazy, right?
2] Once I told him what it was he said he had never had it.... EXCUSE ME?
3] He asked me to explain what it tasted like! I mean... it tastes like buffalos?

Majority of the reason I made this recipe was because when I went to the store that week I came across a bottle of the "Louisiana" Wing Sauce and couldn't pass it up!
Ingredients:
4 large Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1/2 Iceberg Lettuce Head
3/4 cup Louisiana Wing Sauce (any wing or buffalo sauce should work)
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TSP Onion Powder
1/2 White Onion (chopped)
1/3 cup Celery (chopped)

For the topping
1.5 TBSP Ranch Dip Mix
2 TBSP Blue Cheese Crumbles
2 TBSP Non-fat Plain Greek Yogurt

Directions:
1. In medium sized saucepan, on HI heat, combine chopped onion with Worcestershire sauce and sauté until onions are tender and fragrant or almost translucent.
2. Next, cut Chicken Breasts into medium sized cubes. Cook in saucepan combined with onions + Worcestershire sauce. Season with Garlic Powder and Onion Powder. Cook Chicken thoroughly -- until there is no pink.

3. Once Chicken is cooked place half of the batch into a food processor. Shred the chicken by using the pulse button, about 4-5 pulses (about 10-15 seconds). Do the same for the second half of the Chicken.
*If you do not have a food processor you could manually shred the chicken using a fork and knife.

4. Return shredded Chicken to medium saucepan on Medium Heat. Mix in chopped celery and "Louisiana" Wing Sauce mixing well so it does not burn. Continually stir -- for about 3-4 minutes or until meat and sauce is heated throughout.
5. Once Chicken mixture is completed -- it's time for the toppings (takes less than 1 minute to make)Take 2 large TBSP of Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt + mix with 1.5 TBSP of Ranch Dip Mix. Stir well.

6. Gently "unwrap" the "wrap" from the lettuce head. Place about 1/2 cup mixture into each wrap topping each lettuce wrap with about 1 TBSP "Ranch" and about 1 TBSP Blue Cheese Crumbles.
7. Have a fire extinguisher ready (it'll be hot) and enjoy!

This recipe is very spicy, but not unbearable! My Dad and I enjoyed it but added a little "Woo"ing from time to time + "hand fanning"! If you do not want the extra spice use less wing sauce!
The thing I love about this recipe is how great the flavor and texture was! It was an extremely filling dinner and the cool lettuce + ranch + blue cheese really offset the spiciness, but not too much. It was incredible!
Other great thing -- this is super skinny recipe! 2 large, filling lettuce wraps are less than 300 calories and less than 6g of fat! BOOM!
Try going to a wing place and getting that -- it just won't happen!

This recipe made 8 large servings and could be used in so many different ways:
- Buffalo Chicken salad with Greek Yogurt Ranch "dressing"
- Stuff it in a pita pocket for a delicious sandwich
- Sautee some vegetables and eat it alongside the meat

The possibilities are endless! What will you come up with : )

Nutrition per Lettuce Wrap *with toppings
143 Calories, 7.4g Carbs, 5.1g Fat, 18. 1g Protein
*Recipe makes 8 - 1/2 cup servings
 
Nutrition per Lettuce Wrap *without toppings
103 Calories, 6.5g Carbs, 3.1g Fat, 13.6g Protein
 
 
That's all for me today-- Enjoy the spice!
Have a fit + fantastic day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment