Monday, June 23, 2014

Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps - Under 300 Calories!

My sister and I are notorious for being unbelievably, unapologetically (*pun intended) obsessed with Buffalo Chicken...
Madison may be worse than me.
No matter where we go, she order's Buffalo Chicken -- I am not that to that extent, but last week I was craving it so I had to cure the craving -- the health (and still extremely delicious) way!
Lettuce Wraps are some of my favorite things. It's like a salad -- that you can hold in your hands! Fun fact : did you know that you can swap the bread for a lettuce wrap just about anywhere? Even Five Guys does it! I've seen these lettuce wraps all over Pinterest so I figured they would be perfect to cure my Buffalo Chicken craving.

Let me start off by saying that
1] Peter had no idea what "Buffalo Chicken" was... that's crazy, right?
2] Once I told him what it was he said he had never had it.... EXCUSE ME?
3] He asked me to explain what it tasted like! I mean... it tastes like buffalos?

Majority of the reason I made this recipe was because when I went to the store that week I came across a bottle of the "Louisiana" Wing Sauce and couldn't pass it up!
Ingredients:
4 large Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
1/2 Iceberg Lettuce Head
3/4 cup Louisiana Wing Sauce (any wing or buffalo sauce should work)
1/4 cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 TBSP Garlic Powder
1 TSP Onion Powder
1/2 White Onion (chopped)
1/3 cup Celery (chopped)

For the topping
1.5 TBSP Ranch Dip Mix
2 TBSP Blue Cheese Crumbles
2 TBSP Non-fat Plain Greek Yogurt

Directions:
1. In medium sized saucepan, on HI heat, combine chopped onion with Worcestershire sauce and saut√© until onions are tender and fragrant or almost translucent.
2. Next, cut Chicken Breasts into medium sized cubes. Cook in saucepan combined with onions + Worcestershire sauce. Season with Garlic Powder and Onion Powder. Cook Chicken thoroughly -- until there is no pink.

3. Once Chicken is cooked place half of the batch into a food processor. Shred the chicken by using the pulse button, about 4-5 pulses (about 10-15 seconds). Do the same for the second half of the Chicken.
*If you do not have a food processor you could manually shred the chicken using a fork and knife.

4. Return shredded Chicken to medium saucepan on Medium Heat. Mix in chopped celery and "Louisiana" Wing Sauce mixing well so it does not burn. Continually stir -- for about 3-4 minutes or until meat and sauce is heated throughout.
5. Once Chicken mixture is completed -- it's time for the toppings (takes less than 1 minute to make)Take 2 large TBSP of Non-Fat Plain Greek Yogurt + mix with 1.5 TBSP of Ranch Dip Mix. Stir well.

6. Gently "unwrap" the "wrap" from the lettuce head. Place about 1/2 cup mixture into each wrap topping each lettuce wrap with about 1 TBSP "Ranch" and about 1 TBSP Blue Cheese Crumbles.
7. Have a fire extinguisher ready (it'll be hot) and enjoy!

This recipe is very spicy, but not unbearable! My Dad and I enjoyed it but added a little "Woo"ing from time to time + "hand fanning"! If you do not want the extra spice use less wing sauce!
The thing I love about this recipe is how great the flavor and texture was! It was an extremely filling dinner and the cool lettuce + ranch + blue cheese really offset the spiciness, but not too much. It was incredible!
Other great thing -- this is super skinny recipe! 2 large, filling lettuce wraps are less than 300 calories and less than 6g of fat! BOOM!
Try going to a wing place and getting that -- it just won't happen!

This recipe made 8 large servings and could be used in so many different ways:
- Buffalo Chicken salad with Greek Yogurt Ranch "dressing"
- Stuff it in a pita pocket for a delicious sandwich
- Sautee some vegetables and eat it alongside the meat

The possibilities are endless! What will you come up with : )

Nutrition per Lettuce Wrap *with toppings
143 Calories, 7.4g Carbs, 5.1g Fat, 18. 1g Protein
*Recipe makes 8 - 1/2 cup servings
 
Nutrition per Lettuce Wrap *without toppings
103 Calories, 6.5g Carbs, 3.1g Fat, 13.6g Protein
 
 
That's all for me today-- Enjoy the spice!
Have a fit + fantastic day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment